View Single Post
Old 13th October 2011, 18:14   #10095  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Internal calculations may be 16-bit, but the results are dithered to 8-bit. There is a very noticeable drop in quality when using 3DLUTs, even on digital displays, which don't do the best job of displaying 8-bit as it is.

I would want to do as much calibration as possible—especially the lower-end of the greyscale & gamma—using the display's own controls.

I hope Madshi manages to figure out how to get 10-bit over HDMI in full-screen exclusive mode, as it would make such a difference for those of us using 10-bit native panels. (LCoS/SXRD, higher-end LCDs)
I think EVR-CP can use 10-bit output, and you can also use a .3dlut for this.

Quote:
This is not correct at all. Content is encoded using the BT.709 transfer function, whose best-fit power curve is 1.96 gamma. (1/0.51)
I'm talking about before BT.709 even existed. That's how the very first digital cameras started working, and the trend has continued until today. Images are adjusted during the encoding process to be darker than they actually should.

Quote:
Display gamma is absolutely not intended to get a linear result from this.
That's a specific of the H.264 specification and is unrelated to the monitor output.

Quote:
The short answer is that studio CRTs were as close to 2.40 gamma as they could be made, and the new generation of OLED monitors are exactly 2.40 gamma.

Anything else for video/film content is wrong. (but you may have to deviate from correct if you aren't watching in a dim/dark room)
Encoding rooms call for 80 lux at D5500, a pitch black room will be darker than that, so 2.5 is even better.

Quote:
PC/Game content uses sRGB, which is essentially 2.2 gamma. (technically there is an sRGB transfer function but I don't know of anything that uses it)

This is good advice, and probably what he should do. If the projector has been well calibrated, it's almost certainly not worth paying €250 just to get a profile made. That price is fairly ridiculous as profiling just involves setting up the meter and leaving it to run unattended for 20+ minutes, depending on the package used.
20+ minutes? More like 10+ hours, especially since spectrophotometers are quite slow in their measurements compared to colorimeters.