Thread: Nero 8?
View Single Post
Old 19th December 2007, 00:08   #1  |  Link
Yo

Nero 8?

I'm not sure if this is the most relevant forum for this topic, but I didn't see any more relevant. Since Nero Recode is one of the major tools for encoding AVC video, there is certainly some relevance. If you (moderator) think this post would fit better in a different forum, then please move it.

Are there any improvements to Nero 8 (over Nero 7), in the areas of video and audio encoding? Any improvements to Nero Recode? Any improvements to the audio encoding capabillity of Nero Burning ROM?

The new features that are advertised don't sound very worthwhile to me--cosmetic changes, "improvements" to "StartSmart" (which I never use anyhow, and don't install), the ability to export to Youtube, etc. (I don't see the point at all of the latter, although I'm not a big youtube person. I have uploaded to YT before, and it's very easy, directly from the YT web site. You can upload in any format, and they convert it to their .flv format.)

However, I don't know if there are some real improvements in encoding functionality, that unfortunately have not been advertised. Are there any? Please be specific.

Also, one very annoying thing about Nero 7, was that "Nero Scout" would install automatically, to run in the background all the time on the computer. And even with a custom installation, one does not have the choice not to install that app. No way to uninstall it either. There were freeware apps that could disable it, like Nerofix and others. (Although Nero comes out with frequent minor updates, it was a hassle after each minor update to have to go through the process of disabling Nero Scout again, so I finally stopped updating, and stuck with the version I had.) Is that annoying intrusiveness still there in Nero 8, the forced installation of Nero Scout? If so, do the scout-disabling utilities from Nero 7, work to do the same on Nero 8?

Thank you for your input.
Yo is offline   Reply With Quote