View Single Post
Old 18th November 2008, 10:57   #18  |  Link
Neillithan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
I'm going out on a limb here - but shouldn't it be possible to use one of the lowest end current-gen ATI (or nVidia) GPUs to manufacture something like that?

Radeon HD 4350 cards (which come with ATI's UVD2 engine) start at 35 EUR around here, and that's the price for the GPU, video RAM and the board...
Well, they're right in the sense that Level 5.1 has the potential to bring any current system to its knees. To prove his point, Dark Shikari posted a 10 second video at some absurd resolution like 3840x2160@50fps with a bitrate of 96 megabits per second. Apparently, 5.1 is supposed to be outrageously high quality requiring a super computer from the future, but most people who use L5.1 don't encode their videos near the magnitude of that complexity. L5.1 should be playable and for the videos that go beyond sane compression and HD setting, it doesn't matter.

My PC has a dual core 3ghz AMD, 4gigs of ram and an 8800 GTX OC and it has no trouble playing 1920x1080@60fps. For a PS3 or an Xbox 360, I'd assume their H.264 playback to be on par with my PC, yet they only support L4.1 videos. Why? There is no reason for the limitation.
Neillithan is offline   Reply With Quote