View Single Post
Old 30th March 2020, 12:50   #29345  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Hello all, hope everyone is safe and healthy...

Well, like many of us, I'm stuck inside with too much time on my hands. I've come across a puzzling problem and can't figure it out. Using the latest v0.61.05, my BD9 encodes are averaging 1GB-1.5GB under the default target size of 7.84GB when finished.

My latest BD9 encode is Rocky which has a DTS-MA 5.1 track that I choose to re-encode to AC3@640. It finishes w/a file size of 6.30GB, about 1.5GB under the normal default target for a BD9.

So I try a Custom Target Size to increase the finished file size (have done this before many times w/no problems), but when I choose any size over 8499MB, the movie bit rate decreases by half, from 6,199Kbs for BD9, to 3387Kbs for 8500MB? Makes no sense!

I've tried it w/movie and menus and movie only but every time I increase the custom target to 8500MB or more the bit rate and file size gets smaller. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help or suggestions. Hang in there everyone!
8500 is the cutoff where BD-RB decides it is no longer encoding for DVD-R and removes the restrictions/rules. It is odd, though, that you could undersize by that much on a DVD. How big is the source? Is it hitting possibly the maximum bitrate for DVD-R? I'd have to see a log to know.