View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2004, 23:40   #626  |  Link
ursamtl

The next step...going up!

Quote:
Originally posted by kempfand
@ Steve: Thanks for your feedback (BTW having the same experience here that running things through the ASIO gives a good anticipation on how it will come out on the big 5.1 system).
Andreas,

I've now tested all the groups and bidules from the Gerzon_1997 files you uploaded and so far everything confirms my earlier statement, the Preservation_5_Speaker_v2_REC_.bidule definitely stands out as providing an accurate professional sounding mix, provided the rears are backed off a bit. The others sound similar although not as good to my ears. Actually the Preservation_5_Speaker_v1_REC_.bidule is a bit more balanced in terms of the rear levels, but for some reason I haven't yet nailed down, v2 just seems to sound better.

So, now the next step comes up. I'm sure you're familiar with plugins and progs such as Ambisone, the Spinaudio panners, etc. Perhaps you're also familiar with 3D positional audio. Have you seen anything around on the net concerning this? What would be very cool is to be able to encode some sort of vertical information into a 5.1 system. I know that without speakers mounted above, the reproduction is not going to be possible. I also know that although Ambisonics can carry vertical information, if it's recorded in the first place. However, sound card DSPs have no reached the point where they can produce nearly believable vertical sound, so the question is how do we implement it? If a program such as Ambisone can make sound appear to come from the back even from stereo speakers, surely it should be possible to make sound appear to come from above in a 5.1 system. The same goes for all those two-channel stereo TVs out there with "Virtual surround." I know mine sounds uncanny sometimes with sounds seeming to come from behind and several meters away from the TV (and no, no drugs were involved . Since a 5.1 mix gives us the horizontal information only, the missing ambience from over the head would be very cool if somehow synthesized.

Anybody?