View Single Post
Old 29th September 2005, 17:26   #19  |  Link
Neo Neko

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanV
This is just complete BS in every aspect. AC3 IS commonly used in AVI (why would the size matter?)
First it depends on who you are and what you do as to what is common. Frankly for myself AC3 in AVI is quite uncommon. Even on files I have downloaded from "others".

Second the size matters when you have size constraints. Say a single CD for instance. Using AC3 with such size constraints can be quite dificult since a 5.1 AC3 track could be 400 to 500Mb leaving you 200Mb or less for the 2 hours of video for a DVD encode. Which I suppose is fine if you are an audiophile who doesn't mind postage stamp sized video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanV
Yes you are wrong. AVIs can hold at least up to a 100 different streams (video, audio, midi or text) so please stop spreading this misinformation. You probably are quoting some MKV/OGM/MP4 troll (in any random order) which is not your fault, but you might just wanna use google and see if you can find anything for more useful information.
Stephan please tone it down a bit. Else someone might bring up the issue of AVI trolls.

As to AVI being able to hold up to 100 streams while technically correct, does not see much defacto use. Further there is no defined structure/format for text stream contents. Leading to playback problems regarding them in many players. Though those with gabest vsub filter should be fine where AVI containing compatable text streams are concerned. But they don't constitute a majority by any stretch.

MKV and MP4(note I am not mentioning OGM) have gernerally well defined and even quite specific requirements for such contents put forth in the formal specifications. Further many, possibly even a majority of parsers/players support them unlike AVI.

AVI can be made to do many things. That does not mean it should or was ever meant to. But I suppose it is all a matter of personal choice and project requirements.

As to the original poster. There is alot of work to be done both on the HTML design and the guide. But that is not a problem as long as one is willing to learn. And this is a good place to learn. As long as everyone stays civil. I personally can see the value of a less technical guide. Many people are seriously put off by technicality. Though personally I would preffer a bit more professional appearance.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote