View Single Post
Old 13th August 2004, 07:02   #127  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Greetings again,

I wasn't terribly happy with the lack of answers to my questions & I'm not usually the kind of person to just say "Aw, heck with it." & do it anyway without info making sure the product IS worth the money. However, this is one of those RARE times. I'm very happy with the Philips DVP-642 I bought, even though my Apex DVD player wasn't even that old...I won't be buying another DVD player for a long time to come as along as Philips DOES stick to doing GOOD quality as well as DivX doing the same.
I've been watching DivX for a while & Philips has been a good solid name so I don't see the machine having problems. Anyway, with that said I'll point out what I was looking for & what I've found thus far:

DivX video with AC3 audio wrapped in AVI format (MPEG-4) with the ability to pick from _multiple_ AC3 tracks since I also archive commentaries. They do not play well from a standard 700MB CD-R, The Matrix being tested..you'll get audio drop-outs, & some video jerking at different times in the movie (I only have the Soundtrack & Commentary because I don't like the Score commentary much..I'm not a huge fan of the music..) HOWEVER, as I started to notice through different questions OTHER people asked & *problems* (I don't have *issuses*) they had that DVD+R/Ws work very well!! THIS was pleasing to actually SEE. Copy 3 AVI files from 700MB CDs to the Harddrive, then burn them to a DVD+RW & playback in Philips DVP-642...SWEET! All plays fine, except for a *moment* or so of _lag_ when pressing the AUDIO button for the AC3 to catch up with the Video, but it works pretty darn nice! I do happen to have some older archives of my put-away DVDs where I used MP3 (320kbit) & they worked just fine from a CD-R.. Humm..kind of annoying since I only use AC3.

Overall, DivX/XviD seems to be working well. AC3/MP3 are working well, too, with a minor annoying step being needed when AC3 is used. I just don't like MP3 for movies...I can hear the loss. So far, all in all, it's working VERY well. Auto/GodianKnot & DvdReMake (Pro), DVD Rebuilder, DivX, XviD are GREAT tools. Love the new hardware, I'll have to keep tabs on the firmware updates. Thanks, guys! This sure makes it easier to keep my originals is GREAT shape!!!

Rock on! The MP3 player needs some info displayed.. No ID3 Tags or anything? I'll check the docs again..humm.. Maybe it's sacraficed for Video playback? Haha.