View Single Post
Old 29th September 2010, 00:04   #12563  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by diizzy View Post
While this 16-bit int vs * float seems to get people a bit defensive I would like to ask how "inaccurate" is it really? Given that many formats except HD formats are 16-bit or even lower the degradation should be minimal or none at all nor do you really know if the encoder used a higher precision during encoding right? As far as I know most people use analogue cabling at least to the speakers you would also introduce further degradation since there's no digital correction of any kind. Also having in mind that speakers or headphones usually don't have a flat frequency curve this would sound degrade even further. While I do agree that precision is a good thing in general and that it may / may not make a huge performance impact I also understand if some say that rounding doesn't matter since the sound will get dirty on the way to your ears. Fine, audio processing should be lossless but interpolating which might happen since you have more precision (and then at some point round it) than during encode time might not be a great solution either.
Am I missing something here?
indeed, i want to see some scientific research done on this.

We can output the wav files and compare them right? so whats the difference?

When madshi had to prove his renderer does better chroma scaling he made a screenshot comparison, and i've seen tools that can highlight the pixels that the better scaling affects.
the same should be possible for audio, no need to involve ears or speakers. just the pure wave, is it different or not, and if so where.