View Single Post
Old 26th December 2003, 15:53   #8  |  Link
t_2

Quote of sorts "Not a replacement for expensive NLE programs" Hummm.

OK, I use Premire too, but can't get excited about it the way my AV students do. AVISynth is so much better, and it fits several times over on a floppy! Just try putting Premire on a floppy several times over and see what happens!

Here in Central Europe you see two things, unabashed piracy and people who really can't afford software or multimedia content(CDs &DVDs). For them AVISynth is a million times better than Premire, because it's free/i.e., affordable and it does the job (better?

Of course, its one thing to rant about it, and another thing to develop it day in and day out year after year. That requires real devotion, not just lip service! (lip service, because sorry to say haven't yet backed up my enthusiasm with my pocketbook)But then again, perhaps we do help the cause because even though it costs us dearly to produce, we do release our humble content for free to one and all.

Summing up, I like to think of it the other way around, Premire as a suplement to AVISynth. It's not exactly the same thing as this joke explains:

"One day while on silent retreat a young seminarian was pacing back 'n forth in the Church and smoking all the while, another seminarian came up to him and reproached him, saying: "How dare you smoke on retreat!" To which the first said, "I got permission from the retreat master." "I can't believe he allowed you so smoke while you are praying." "He didn't, I asked him if I could pray while I was smoking!"

Now for a final question which I really shouldn't be asking, because besides being another trip down curiosity lane, I doubt that I really would understand the answer, but here goes.

@ www.avisynth.org there is a link called "forking around" There somebody seems to be stating that AviSynth isn't just a ripper tool, it is a full fledged NLE in its own right and then goes on to talk about something called python that would somehow make AVISynth independent of platforms, COLOR DEPTH and OSes. Could this Python thing figure into AVISynth 3?

t_2
t_2 is offline   Reply With Quote