View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:31   #200  |  Link
STC-Fan
MeGUI / AviSynth user

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vit- View Post
I listed the range of things that causes stability issues a couple of posts above. I also posted some notes on performance and MT use. One other important thing I note in the OP is using the right version of AviSynth. I can only get extended stability with SEt's 2.6MT
Thanks for that - I've actually been able to resolve the biggest issue (slow speed encoding leading to a crash) by reverting back to using MT mode 5 before AVISource, then using MT mode 2 for QTGMC and other plugins. In fact, I'm now getting nearly 12 FPS for first and second passes - not 16 or 20 like with MDegrain2i2, but the payoff in restored detail and better correction of interlacing artifacts etc. is well worth it

As for the memory running out - on the last script I ran for a 6-minute video, I increased SetMemoryMax to 768 and this has eliminated crashes for the time being. However, I have recently had BSOD crashes with the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error on Vista (SP2), so I might need to run the memory checker and possibly replace the RAM I have.

The other filter I sometimes use is fizick's DeFreq for removing RF (diagonal line) noise, so I'll check and see if that will work harmoniously with QTGMC.

EDIT: poisondeathray - my source video is all TFF, I have tested your suggestion and the 50 FPS output from QTGMC is now nice and smooth, thanks for the tip! The equivalent settings I used for Yadif were mode=1 (double framerate) and order=1 (top field first).

I've also tested the output on some more noisy VHS clips which need DeFreq (placed before QTGMC) and they looks very nice as well. With those clips (thankfully only a few) there is still a small amount of background noise crawl and feint horizontal lines, although in the final output from x264 much of this isn't really visible anyway. Probably I could mess around a bit with QTGMC's parameters in detail, beyond the standard Slow preset, but I'm more than satisfied with the results at the moment

UPDATE: I've had a look at some stronger denoising to go with the detail restoration / deinterlacing from QTGMC. I've found that for my VHS content, I can get better results by using the MDegrain2i2 function before QTGMC(Preset="Slow") - normally I would just use one or the other. With both of these in one script, they work extremely well together, though it does hit encoding time to x264 somewhat (down to about 6.5 FPS instead of 12 FPS with just QTGMC @ Slow). Despite this, the results are definitely worth it. I have uploaded some standard size screenshots, 4x magnified sections of those screenshots and my most recent AviSynth scripts here:

QTGMC + MDegrain2i2, QTGMC alone and MDegrain2i2 alone

Last edited by STC-Fan; 6th February 2011 at 17:34. Reason: Tested suggestion from poisondeathray, other filter testing, fixed URL