View Single Post
Old 5th May 2018, 21:11   #50696  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
There was banding only in passthrough, only in fullscreen windowed mode, only in Windows 10, and it was very minor. So not that surprising.

People are noticing the number 8 because in most cases, there was NO banding in 10bits, but they now have (momentarily until it's restored) lost that feature, so it's very understandable they notice the unnecessary limitation and didn't notice anything before, when everything was working fine with no banding at all (or very minor one if win10 FSW passthrough).
I think you missed huhn's point.

People are not noticing a change in image quality, they only notice the change in the number in the OSD. If madVR lied and said it was outputting 10 bit when it was really dithered 8 bit no one who is noticing this change now would have noticed.

You have to do very specific tests with dithering disabled to even be able to tell if it is 8 or 10 bit. I really do not understand why so many people are so obsessed with 10 or 12 bit output. We have people using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling because they want 12 bit.

I see why madshi didn't worry about 10 bit for so long, bit depth is massively overrated by the casual HTPC user.

Then you have displays like mine, which offer better image quality using 8 bits, and people still want to send them 10 bit. Even I have to recheck this fact every once in a while.

10 bit just seems like it should be much better, but it really isn't.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th May 2018 at 21:19.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote