View Single Post
Old 30th November 2014, 03:14   #15  |  Link
manolito

@ hello_hello

I browsed through the discussion of this foobar2000 DSP, and it behaves quite differently compared to the original EBU R128 standard. While the EBU standard requires that the whole file is scanned first and then the gain is adjusted to reach the desired reference level, the foobar DSP works in 1-pass mode. It uses a lookahead buffer and adjusts the volume dynamically. This works like an Automatic Gain Control (sounds pretty similar to DynamicAudioNormalizer), and it does "compress" the overall dynamics of a stream.

In my AVStoDVD plugin you gan get this behavior by applying DynamicAudioNormalizer first and use EBU R128 Loudness Normalization as post-processing.

Like nevcairiel I also remember reading in one of the many articles I went over that to get a loudness matching ReplayGain the reference level should be around -18 LUFS. For my tests I used Video DVDs mostly, and using EBU R128 on them with -18 LUFS reduced the loudness a bit compared to the original.

If you want to make your own tests on material you already treated with ReplayGain, you can use current versions of FFmpeg to scan the files. Use this command line:
Quote:
ffmpeg.exe -nostats -i %1 -filter_complex ebur128 -f null -

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote