View Single Post
Old 21st December 2001, 04:29   #1  |  Link
asphaltgym

1 DVD to 2 DVRs help!

Ok, so copying a <4.7G single layer DVD is easy just using smartripper.

And copying a >4.7G dual layer DVD where the ripped streams you care about ARE <4.7G is also easy now that Derrow has made IFOEDIT. (http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/index.html)

Also, if the streams are >4.7G and you are willing to sacrifice quality then Derrow also allows transcoding the video stream so that's pretty easy.

My problem is I don't want to sacrifice quality. I mean what's the point of backing up my top 10 dvds if the backup is substandard - isn't that a little like going to videotape? I've been trying all kinds of ways to split a DVD onto 2 DVRs but have never succeeded.

Here's the closest I've come (using phantom menace as example)- does anyone have a solution or ideas?

1. Used Derrow's method of stripping and recreating the VIDEO_TS.IFO and other files to make a menu-less DVD. Total size 6.5G. Took Vobs 5 to 7 and MOVED them to a new folder and COPIED the IFOs from 1 to 4 over. Renamed vobs 5 to 7 as 1 to 3. Then ran Get VTS sectors on all the IFOs. Well, both VIDEO_TS.ifo's seem to load in PowerDVD but there's funny behavior as you chapter navigate past the end of the film. I'm not brave enough to burn these and try it yet. This method also doesn't let me put the end of another movie on the 2nd DVD (not totally necessary but would save some $$)

2. Heard that Roxio Videopack DVD authoring can import Vobs but it doesn't seem to recognize SOME of the native DVD vobs (or the stripped VOBs). Also noticed that the beginning of the movie where the text scrolls into space has that repeat problem where it jumps back to english-spanish-german versions.

3. Roxio DID manage to import the m2v ac3 streams from smartripper but complains about their size being bigger than 1Gig. Next I will try splitting them into 1G chunks (or having smartripper do it)
asphaltgym is offline   Reply With Quote