Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 28th September 2013, 13:56   #41  |  Link
SEt

Let me add some thought to the discussion.

Avisynth in current 2.6 form is effectively dead. I.e. it will work ok, but isn't endangered by any major improvements. There are several reasons for that:

1) The unsolvable one that makes it really dead and not just in bad shape or unmaintained: license. GPLv2 was bad choice – it should've been LGPL. I don't see any realistic way to change it to LGPL, so for that change all existing code needs to be thrown out and rewritten.
2) Bad interfaces. No one sane uses С++ for open plugin system. C interface with trivial wrappers to C++ or whatever else is what should've been done. In 2.6 we break old interfaces but get the same C++ hell.
3) No care for threading. Can you guess how many people need what was added in recent years (!) to official 2.6 and how many need working threading?
4) No care for submitted patches. Besides MT my build differs by several important source clarifications (specified calling conventions where they are needed, improved exception handling). How many years have they been open? Were they merged? (Note: most time I spend on updating my build to official is manually re-merging these small but extensive changes since CVS is often unable to automerge them.)
5) Absolutely refusing to remove old hacks, clean code and move to newer software. Who uses CVS today? With words VC6 most modern developers jump in panic or start to cry. How about this nice quote from sources:
Code:
// Warning! : If you modify this routine, check the generated assembler to make sure
//            the stupid compiler is saving the ebx register in the entry prologue.
//            And don't just add an extra push/pop ebx pair around the code, try to
//            convince the compiler to do the right thing, it's not hard, usually a
//            slight shuffle or a well placed "__asm mov ebx,ebx" does the trick.
And that is not a single case. The actual problem here is that, for example, SVN and VS2010 aren't any worse in general, much less buggy (no need for those register saving hacks) and actually used by people today. But do we need new developers? Not as much as we need CVS and VC6 obviously.

But saying that all I have to add that while Avisynth has plenty of problems there isn't anything better. And it works quite ok too.
I thought many times of rewriting it but still don't have enough resolve (due to 1 it's quite a daunting task) and it does what I need from it reasonably well (I would be pressed to write better threading if i had like 16-thread CPU, but no hardware upgrade here in 3 years and future doesn't look bright at all – looks like all focus of manufactures is shifted towards mobile).