View Single Post
Old 14th April 2009, 14:09   #2025  |  Link
Eric B

After some months/years without encoding, I've updated MeGUI by using x264.
What is the proper thread for improvement ideas? I've seen the "feature request" topic is closed: It would be good to update the first message of this topic consequently!

So I have the following suggestions to enhance the performance a little bit.

1) Configuration / default use of workers: since the video encoders are multi threaded but the rest are mainly not, I've set all video tasks to "worker1" and all the rest to "worker2": it seems to me the best optimization. What do you think? It would be good to be able to do so automatically, i.e., when a multi core CPU is detected, having 2 workers per default, set all video tasks to the main worker, and all other tasks to a 2nd worker.

2) In a similar way, I have 2 physical HDD in my PC, and try to use them as far as I can. I make all tasks "cross" HDD, e.g. setting one as source and the other as destination, thus one disk is used to read, the other to write. We could imagine to have 2 folders to configure, and when one is used as source, the other is taken per default as destination (instead of the same folder which causes read&write in the same disk, and thus slowing down this disk).

3) back to the threading handling, what is the purpose of the "pause" button in the queue or worker window? It seems to have to functionality! I'd like to have a real pause which could pause the encoding process so that the CPU is not used anymore. Do the codec / x264 CLI support such a feature?

4) Tools/Chapter Creator: would it be possible to have a more comprehensive tool which takes the DVD source as input? I am currently using "Chapter Grabber" which is quite powerfull. I'll ask Emp3r0r if he could brings his "chapter grabber" to MeGUI...