View Single Post
Old 10th July 2003, 08:18   #14  |  Link
ChristianHJW
Matroska Team

I should maybe not comment this thread here, but this is what i liked to say :

I personally see OGMs future as a supported format from Xiph, or not. I may be wrong here, but this is my opinion. Just think of what happens if libogg is no longer supported, and OGM become incompatible with oggfile, which is incorportating Theora and Ogg handling in general.

Monty has recently stated on #vorbis that IHO Tobias has done a great job to stick to the Ogg specs as close as possible, as far as he can tell. Maybe only the 'mapping' of the DivX codec had to change.

Now i bet every sum that Monty

- has no detailled insight how the VCM codec mapping is actually working in OGM
- doesnt know what a BITMAPINFOHEADER is, nor a VIDEOINFOHEADER
- has not really considered how such Windows centric structs can be generated on Linux, his preferred OS ( ask Mosu, he knows about it very well )
- will die a sudden and hard death, presumable from a heart attack, once he finds out that Tobias is fully depending on the information that DirectShow is giving the OggDS muxer filter ( again, BITMAPINFOHEADER and VIDEOINFOHEADER ) to be able to initialize the codec on playback

He maybe has a feeling that this is the case now, thats why he said the 'codec mapping may change', but guys .... if he does change that, all your existing OGM may be supported for playback, but unevitable become out of spec for the future .....

Just my 2 cents, not here to start a flame war ( and i havent mentioned our stuff !! )

Christian