View Single Post
Old 13th January 2011, 00:29   #212  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

i'll chime in and ask why use bits/pixel? there is nothing that bits/pixel can meaningfully say about the actual source. and sources vary enormously.

my tests from HDCAM-SR sources (as near to uncompressed as anyone's likely to get without working straight from the original camera neg or the output of a grading workstation), just using x264 at crf 22 show a massive range of bitrates for different sources.

some (usually shot on RED in daylight, or at least adequate light) features will come in at about 3.5-4mbps for a 1080p24, and some (usually 16mm or a very fast/grainy 35mm) will come in at 20mbps+ at the same res. bits/pixel will not help there. even some HDCAM shot in studio conditions will have huge bitrate requirements due to oversharpening and the everything-in-focus effect of 1/3 inch sensors.

i'll also chime in and say that with these sources, casual viewing reveals little to no difference between x264 encodes at crf22 (which is on the "lower-quality" end) and sonic cinevision at blu-ray bitrates. critical viewing will reveal some grain oddities in x264, but bear in mind we're talking about a 3:1 size difference over the cinevision encodes.