View Single Post
Old 29th March 2012, 07:24   #239  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappen View Post
I'm sorry to say you'll never be completely happy with any solution that a computer can produce.
I get that. Since the Vobsub does not provide info on what font is used (and even if it were), it's not certain that an ASS set to that font would display identically cause there's no way of knowing how the standalone/software player will render the font.

Still, AFAIK many Vobsubs do not use the whole screen and position it at coordinates 0,0 but have a bitmap as small as the rendered text and position this accordingly. Could Subextractor translate this position info to the ASS? If not, it should default to horizontally centered items since the overwhelming majority of the subs I've seen so far are centered.

I've seen very few DVDs that place color-coded items off-center close to the person speaking and only one TV show that does this so far (and this only on the US DVD, the English sub of the German DVD has centered subs only):

which looks like this in ASS:

and like this in SRT:

I agree with Slasher that scaling options would be awesome. When saving to ASS, the save dialogue would offer to pop up a preview window where the longest item is displayed and people could change size, color and position. If that is too much work, please add the option to center-align the subs (a mouseover would explain the implications so people would not report this as a bug again). Thanks!

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Last edited by Chetwood; 29th March 2012 at 07:26.
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote