View Single Post
Old 17th January 2013, 18:39   #16986  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
What should, and what does happen, are often very different things. Proper 2:2 cadence detection seems difficult to get right, and it's not "one or two TV models" that get this wrong - the majority of televisions don't even attempt 2:2 cadence detection and just treat everything as "288p" video content.
Nothing is treated as 288p, I don't know what you're talking about here. Do you have evidence for this claim? The fact that I only found one or two models where this problem is actually mentioned seems to suggest it's against the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
If they do, it's often listed as an optional "film mode" option that is off by default, because wrongly jumping into or out of film/video mode looks terrible. Even Pioneer, whom everyone seems to praise, did a terrible job with film-type PAL content.
Yes, leaving "film mode" on makes interlaced content look horrible - far worse than deinterlacing progressive material would look if the deinterlacer is working correctly. Again, I haven't encountered this (on my HTPC or on the few HDTVs I've used), yet you seem to be suggesting it's extremely common. Even madshi said your sample was a rare case.