View Single Post
Old 28th March 2018, 04:17   #49893  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
DCI-P3 is irrelevant for consumer content. Unless you only use MadVR, which can convert to any gamut you want, BT2020 is the correct option.
I believe you are only talking about your JVC's BT.2020 option? It is doing the conversion (tone mapping, etc.) and it knows the source gamut so why does it even have a setting? Shouldn't it simply map to its native gamut?

This is just about how it does HDR tone mapping when using its different options, it cannot be applied to any other TVs or projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
So selecting DCI-P3 in MadVR would only be correct if a DCI-P3 calibration was made in the JVC, which isn't an option unless you create and upload with the Autocal software a specific DCI-P3 colour profile. Out of the box, the correct choice is therefore BT2020 if you want a wide color gamut, and so BT2020 should also be specified in MadVR, otherwise the colors will be wrong inside the gamut.
Again, this is only on your display. I believe you for your projector but for most HDR displays, in their wide gamut mode, setting DCI-P3 in madVR is more correct for SDR content or if madVR is doing the tone mapping to SDR. With SDR setting BT.2020 will map BT.709 into BT.2020 and then the display will display it in its native gamut without doing another conversion.

For HDR content it is different, I don't have as much calibration experiance but my TV assumes the source content is BT.2020 when doing its tone mapping. Its HDR mode works better when the 3DLUT maps to HDR BT.2020 or "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" targets BT.2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
does this not apply because I'm peaked at 10bit and still within the smaller spectrum?
No, bit depth and color gamut are independent. Using too wide of a gamut with too low of a bit depth can cause banding but 12 bit does not allow you to display more intense colors, only to have more steps between colors.

In wider gamuts all brightness levels of pure red are simply more red. BT.709's pure red is a shade of orange in BT.2020. Actually displaying BT.2020 would take something like lasers of the precise wavelength so pure red does not stimulate the human green or blue color sensing cells at all, and the same for the green and blue light sources.

All that said, which options do you have on your display? Do you have BT.2020, DCI-P3 or BT.709 options? My TV only has "wide" (close to DCI-P3) and "enhanced" (closer to BT.709). I leave it on "wide" and would use DCI-P3 for SDR in madVR if I did not use 3DLUTs.

For HDR what options are you using in madVR? With "passthrough HDR content to the display" the setting in the calibration page does not apply, the metadata has that information and the display handles any conversions.

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th March 2018 at 04:21.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote