View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 15:42   #37945  |  Link
Sunspark

Hi, am I the only one who finds the layout of the options non-intuitive?

To explain, in processing > image enchancements, it is the same as scaling algorithms > upscaling refinement except that the latter has a superres toggle.

I think the superres toggle is both luma and chroma after scaling, whereas the superres in chroma upscaling is before, so it is possible to superres chroma twice.. maybe. Both are just called superres though. Only in the forums is one referred to as superchromares but not actually in madvr itself.

I think processing image enchancements is before scaling, and scaling algorithims upscaling refinement is after.. so it is possible to sharpen edges (random example) twice if you toggle it in both image enchancements and upscaling refinement panels as they can be set independently. The checkbox is not either/or exclusive.

Then in the processing's artifact removal, the reduce ringing artifacts brand new option is there, but the chroma and image upscaling options in the scaling algorithms category also have checkboxes for "activate anti-ringing filter".. so maybe it is possible to anti-ring twice if you check it in both the upscaling and the processing artifact removal.. As a user I wonder with the new deringer, should the anti-ringer be de-selected from chroma/luma upscaling as those are the older settings..

I feel that there are a lot of options that while perhaps they occur at different stages in the rendering pipeline, seem to lend themselves to being activated more often than they should be, whether by design or user error.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote