View Single Post
Old 19th December 2003, 23:19   #1001  |  Link
AZEncoder

AutoGK - love it, but ran into a snag

First, please forgive my noobiness. I have read a lot of messages on the forums here in the last week and a half. I understood some of it, certainly not all of it, and have tried to follow forum rules by searching for enlightenment.

I have used AutoGK to encode a bunch (approximately 80 TV episodes) of other stuff. It has worked flawlessly. Bravo len0x!!!!!!!! interestingly enough playing with AutoGK now has me wanting to learn more (how to use full blown GK) so that I have more control over backup processes.

I am trying to use AutoGK to back up my purchased copy of Die Another Day (James Bond). I have run into a subtitle issue.

Used AutoGK .77b

Attempt #1 settings:
Audio Track: English AC3 6ch
Subtitle Track: No Subtitles
Output size: 1 CD (700Mb)
Advanced Settings
Resolution Settings: Fixed Width 640
Codec: Xvid
Audio: Auto(AC3/VBR MP3)
Display only forced subtitles: not checked
Use external subtitles: not checked

Results: no subtitles, Sound good, picture looked great.

Attempt #2 settings:
Subtitle Track: English Normal Captions
Advanced Settings
Display only forced subtitles: not checked

Results: subtitles throughout entire movie, but synchronization of subtitles gets out of wack after initial scene, Sound good, picture looked great.

Attempt #3 settings:
Subtitle Track: No subtitles
Advanced Settings
Display only forced subtitles: checked

Results: no subtitles, Sound good, picture looked great.

What I am trying to accomplish is just get the movie backed up so that the subtitles show just during the beginning of the movie like when you watch the DVD without subtitles turned on. Seems pretty uncomplicated but, something is going wrong.

I screwed up the .log file by going back into AutoGK and trying to run a preview. I will re-run Attempt #3 to grab .log file and post it later. I saw in one of the other threads about forced subtitles but was unable to come to any conclusions from the comments mades about my situation.

Also, I read the original documentation that was written by manono and is accessed from the @len0x's forum post on current version message in the Gordian Knot development forum. manono any chance you could update the tutorial to reflect the choice of forced subtitles and external subtitles? Just trying to understand what exactly those options do.

Thanks in advance!

AZEncoder

P.S. After I posted the above note, a flash of insight struck me. Maybe "Display only forced subtitles" means that you have to turn subtitles on but they will only display the "forced ones" (like at the beginning of Die Another Day). So, I am re-encoding an attempt #4 with the following settings:

Attempt #4 settings:
Subtitle Track: English Normal Captions
Advanced Settings
Display only forced subtitles: checked

I'll post the results later.

Last edited by AZEncoder; 20th December 2003 at 00:42.
AZEncoder is offline   Reply With Quote