View Single Post
Old 4th December 2011, 00:17   #5  |  Link
VirtualDubFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
352x480 is fully DVD-compliant, no reencode needed (but it has to be MPEG2 in an authored DVD structure of course, not Xvid). If you aim for "best versatility", then why not go for a standard Video-DVD, Xvid does not play on all hardware players. You also have a full 4.38 GB to play with then.
I have looked briefly at AVISynth but I am uncomfortable with scripts and prefer the GUI environments offered by VirtualDub, AVIDemux, etc. However I do understand that AVISynth is very powerful. I just don't want to go the script route at this time.

I appreciate your notifying me that 352x480 is among the DVD-compliant resolutions. Wikipedia also says this, I found out. This must mean that DVD does long or "double-wide" pixels. I seek first of all to have an AVI file playable in VLC and Windows Media Player and MPlayer etc. But it would be GREAT to use a codec that I could additionally use to make a standard DVD for a DVD player. I think that means an MPEG-2 codec. I don't see any MPEG-2 codecs listed among my VirtualDub codec options. Do you figure this http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...eg-2_codec.cfm (Stinky's) MPEG-2 codec would work?

I read the other stuff you wrote TheSkiller (and from the others who commented, thanks) but I am not willing to expand the width (352) of my captures, because I have sort of settled on it, and besides, I'd be forced really to go to 704 or 720 and I'm not willing to do that, with all the increased hardware burden and file-size that would entail. I will however find a way to avoid the awkward 476 height, maybe by blacking the static at the bottom like Ghitulescu said, rather than clipping it off.

Last edited by VirtualDubFan; 4th December 2011 at 19:48. Reason: remove sig
VirtualDubFan is offline   Reply With Quote