View Single Post
Old 17th October 2018, 01:55   #53309  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
When talking about bells and whistles, I meant in terms of HDR tone mapping. I don't consider NGU Chroma upscaling to be crucial. So, using e.g. D3D11 native decoding, with default chroma upscaling (Bicubic), and no other fancy options activated, can the 1050 Ti do 4Kp60 HDR tone mapping with measurement + highlight recovery?
Yes!

I tested with DXVA2 cb and both with and without the trade quality for performance option "compromise on tone & gamut mapping accuracy". This is on a 1050 Ti, Windows 10 1803, Nvidia driver 416.34 (adaptive), and madVR v0.92.17 (reset to defaults, D3D11 fullscreen windowed 10 bit, tone map HDR using pixel shaders with SDR output), MPC-HC 1.8.3, LAV Video 0.73.1. Using the "Samsung Travel With my Pet HDR UHD.ts" demo, 10 bit HDR HEVC 3840x2160p60.

With compromise: 6.8 ms rendering, <0.1 ms present (no dropped frames)
With compromise and measure each frame's peak luminance: 8.8 ms (no dropped frames)
With no compromise: ~13 ms, with spikes up to ~17 ms (a few dropped frames)
With compromise and 3DLUT: ~9.5 ms, with spikes up to ~12 ms (no dropped frames)
With no compromise and 3DLUT: ~18 ms, with spikes up to ~23 ms (a lot of dropped frames)

Without compromising quality performance is very dependent on content. A 3DLUT also takes significantly more power. No compromise looks a lot better too, though as a way to get a 1050 Ti to do HDR 60 fps processing while using copy back the compromise is great. Most of my HDR is 24 fps anyway.

Edit: I redid the tests with D3D11 native decoding. Performance is even better, no compromise runs perfectly as long as I don't use a 3DLUT at the same time.

With compromise: 5.2 ms rendering (no dropped frames)
With no compromise: ~10ms, with spikes up to ~12 ms (no dropped frames)!
With compromise and 3DLUT: ~7.5 ms, with spikes up to ~10 ms (no dropped frames)
With no compromise and 3DLUT: ~12.5 ms, with spikes up to ~16 ms (a few dropped frames).

Even more tests, D3D11 cb:
With compromise: 6.8 ms
With compromise and measure each frame's peak luminance: 8.8 ms (no dropped frames)
With no compromise: ~13 ms, with spikes up to 17 ms (a few dropped frames)

Edit2: OK, testing the actual request this time (I hope).
D3D11 Native but with DXVA chroma upscaling disabled in trade quality for performance options:
No compromise: ~10ms, with spikes up to ~12 ms (no dropped frames)!

Last edited by Asmodian; 17th October 2018 at 02:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote