View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2008, 22:35   #6849  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin24 View Post
Would converting a TrueHD (48/16) track from an HDDVD to PCM (for BD playback) sound the same as the same movie on Blu-ray with with the audio already as PCM (48/16)?
If the studio used the same master for PCM and TrueHD (which is not guaranteed, but probable) then yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Seems the link to eac3to v2.74 is still the v2.73
Not for me. If you can't seem to be able to get v2.74, please try emptying your browser cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nThn View Post
Just to be sure that's the expected behavior (last DTS frame incomplete) ?
Yes, that's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
did this generally affect demuxing those tracks
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
when having a movie of which eac3to reports +57ms delay for the AC3 track, what eac3to then does is adding 2x -32ms = -64ms delay to it, so that the least possible delay remaining is then -7ms, right? so in case I want to have it perfectly I'd have to add +7ms at playback then in mpc?
When eac3to reports +57ms delay then a +57ms delay is needed and not a -57ms delay. So eac3to applies +64ms delay. So you will have to use -7ms delay in MPC. However, you know my point of view about this topic, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
To detect DD-EX the header must have:

Bsid = 6 (Alternate syntax)
Xbsi2e = 1 (Exist Extra BSI #2)
Dsurexmod = 2 (Dolby Surround EX encoded)

Remember the Table D2.1 (pg. 132) from a52b pdf to locate the fields in header, or see this seudo-code.
Will keep that in mind, thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumus View Post
Does this logic apply also to say 5.1 DTS-HD/TrueHD > 5.1 DTS 1536 or 5.1 AC3 640? i.e. instead of using the available 5.1 DTS 1536 or 5.1 AC3 640 track, to transcode a new track from the DTS-HD or TrueHD tracks?

Or is that only relevant when talking about a core+data situation instead if there was separate tracks available i.e. DTS-HD (core+data) and a separate DTS 1536 track or TrueHD (core+data) and a separate AC3 640 track.
Generally it is BAD to do a transcode from a lossy codec to another lossy codec, because that means you'll have 2 losses which add up on each other. If you want to transcode audio you should always use the highest quality source you can get, which is (of course) lossless, if available. That's why I recommended to use DTS-HD Master Audio instead of only the core - for transcoding purposes.

The situation is different, if there already exists a core in the very format and bitdepth you're looking for. In that case transcoding is not necessary at all, but you can simply extract and use the existing core. But as soon as you need/want to transcode (which means: full decoding + reencoding) you should always choose the source with the highest possible audio quality.