View Single Post
Old 16th January 2005, 23:00   #1  |  Link
tomb2

Increasing Size and Apparent Resoluion!?

OK - here is a good one for all of the pros on this board. Bond I couldn't figure out where to post this so if you need to move it please do!

A while back there was a lot of work using fractals to increase apparent resolution bumping up the physical size of a scan. So is there any application out there that can take a Standard Def raw capture and convert to High Def with enough enhancement so it looks better than the original lower def capture? I certainly understand that it is physically impossible to tweak something that isn't there, but some people where trying to come close by using fractals and extrapolation.

For instance, taking a progressive VGA letterboxed capture produces a standard frame of 648 x 368 pixels. You can easily resample that up to High Def at 1280 x 720 pixels BUT the apparent resolution stays at the lower level because there is no extra pixel information added - just an expansion of what exists. If there was some algorithm to tweak standard video coming from a direct source like the Cannon XL1, it would seem that this resulting "pseudo" high def would be much better than the original frame even though it would certainly NOT come close to the output of a native high def camera like the Panasonic AJ-HDC27.

Yes I know there are line doublers / quadruplers out there that work with interlaced video but that doesn't have any application to this. This would be a cleaning and sampling process that is part of the compression. Any takers on this? Is this already out there? Not yet? On the way? In the worst case, any ideas on where to go to find this or a compression pro here whom I might be able to work with?

BTW this it is the polar opposite of my last question on Joining 3GPP files. That is still hanging because of a problem with the AMR codec, so if anyone here can help on that - the discussion is here. Thanks guys - any help is appreciated!

Last edited by tomb2; 17th January 2005 at 06:26.
tomb2 is offline   Reply With Quote