View Single Post
Old 4th February 2004, 07:40   #26  |  Link
Kon

Quote:
Originally posted by Doom9
@kon: I suppose you have the theoretical knowledge as well? If so it would be nice if you could write a basics article that explains how DVB and ATSC work, the stream formats and such because that's an area I'm still lacking. Also.. do you (or anybody else) have some standalone receivers that support streaming to PCs? That part I won't be able to cover (as well as using hardware that cannot be used by DVBViewer, ProgDVD and DVDPortal - those 3 programs are going to make it into my guides).
Sure if you need such an article I can make one. If you have some more specifics just PM me.

As for relaying streams, there are a few existing options -

For video which is muxed into the TS, I've made an app that streams a transport stream from a PCI tuner board (must support directshow) over the network to VLC ( http://www.streamxpress.net/xcaster ). VLS supports some satellite PCI boards, but no ATSC tuners (which is where this app fits in since it supports anything that can provide a buffer of TS packets).

For video that is muxed into the TS as IP packets (like multicast windows media streams), its easy to stream to PCs since the demux board pulls the ip packets back out and onto the network stack (where you can view them with media player or whatnot).

There are also a ton of STBs that will stream to the lan or to firewire. mostly from asia.

The last option is where you want to stream to PCs from a toaster device. I've been testing such a device which is the size of a VHS tape - it has a tuner input and ethernet output. Its not on the market yet, but its 'pretty close'.

Last edited by Kon; 4th February 2004 at 07:42.
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote