View Single Post
Old 25th December 2008, 05:08   #33  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Sigh... so you're telling me you've already done a complete BD, right? You've tested it and it was done with CRF, right?
No, I didn't feel like waiting 48 hours. I don't have a very fast box here--all my fast CPUs are on SSH and they run Linux, so I can't really use them for testing. And uploading a Blu-ray to them would take a really long time at 50KBps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Sorry -- but that is B.S. It can't do a main movie in CRF, as it is disabled. You're making assumptions after running a couple of extras through -- and you're doing that after setting the option to do "Quicker encodes for extras"
I simply reported the results on the first clip it ran. If you want to make it faster, you should really use faster encoding settings, not CRF (since CRF + VBV is... not a good combination). Specifically, the issue with CRF+VBV is that if --crf without VBV would give a overall bitrate of X, and X is higher than --vbv-maxrate, this can bork ratecontrol in the case that CRF is used with VBV. One way to avoid this is using a very high CRF, of course, since a high CRF ensures you'll never get such a bitrate. But of course a high CRF looks terrible and if you're going to kill quality that much, you might as well just downscale to DVD resolution.

(And seriously, why are you attacking me and yelling "BS"? I want this to be a good program and I'm trying to help you by giving suggestions on settings and such...)

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 25th December 2008 at 05:15.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote