View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2003, 16:19   #10  |  Link
MrTibs

@Mug Funky

I'm glad you like FixVHS. Although I didn't write it for DV source (only VHS tape) it seems to be getting most of its use that way. It seems that I need to write one for DV as well (with vertical correciton).

Anyay, what you describe as a problem is FixVHS's biggest problem. I don't know if your went to the KVCD forum linked on my FixVHS page but there you should find a lot about the filter and how it works. Still, hear are some suggestions:

- If the sproblem is specific to a limited video sequence, try using the trim statement to avoid that section. (I sometimes do this during credits.)

- You can try resizing the frame (by double) then apply FixVHS multiple times. I found this dramatically improved the results and greatly reduced the errors you describe.
i.e.

#my source was 352x480 so I resized
bicubicresize(704,480)

FixVHSOversharp(30,28,24)
FixVHSOversharp(30,28,20)
FixVHSOversharp(30,24,16)
FixVHSOversharp(30,24,12)
FixVHSOversharp(30,24,8 )

- Adjust the detection width to the spacing of the vertical lines. This is unlikely to hurt your overall result but will cause the FixVHS detection to ride peakes of the vertical lines and reduce errors. (You could also greatly shorten your detection width to partially correct the effected area and thus make it invisible further FixVHS correction - assuming your run FixVHS multiple times.)

Sorry about the silliness of how to use this filter on DV. I need to write a version for DV but I've been busy on my logo filter. If you could, send me a short video sequence for testing....mrtibsvideo@yahoo.com.
MrTibs is offline   Reply With Quote