Thread: Local Deflicker
View Single Post
Old 27th February 2011, 23:12   #19  |  Link
Didée

There are several open traps in this function, and most of the issues are coming up when the filtering stumbles into one of the traps.

- the prefiltering for Soften2 function is way too rough. TemporalMedian with radius=3 will create enough artifacts on motion to fool the motion search

- compensation for Soften2 is insufficient. With +/-1 compensations, you're only "safeguarding" a temporal radius of 1. Maybe 2, with some good will. But actually Soften2 is using a temporal radius of 4. In this combination, all the MVTools stuff is mostly a waste of time.
-- specifically, MedianBlurT with radius=4 is very slow. In combination with Motion Compensation, it is *ridiculously* slow. (For yet unknown reasons....)

- In the context in which they're used, the spatial parts of MedianBlur might do both harm and good. Possibly more harm. Related to the next point:

- It doesn't exactly help that ontop of the flicker, the source is noisy/grainy. This might interfere with some of the blurring operations. But that's a task for closer examination.

It's difficult to give specific "change this, change that" advice. I'd recommend to start from scratch, and think more closely about the implications of the used operations.

BTW, who is this "Dedee" guy? I'd like to talk to him.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote