Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2013, 14:28   #131  |  Link
ARDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim
What kind of for-construct would you like to see?
Gavino's "for" looks like
Quote:
So there will be ifs, fors and whiles (and admittedly I'll also see if I can hack a "break" statement into
the language). If you are more comfortable with recursion, you can still keep using it.
Related with Gavino-style for-loops or C-style for-loops I have no preferences, but obviously the
easier for script writers the better, to make more human readable avisynth language is something to add
to a TODO list, avisynth is far to be intuitive or friendly for normal user. Gavino's work is in that
direction, nor more nor less.(My opinion, never interchanged views with him)
I see you have already decided to conform everybody including both and something else, luckly you
have the energy and skills for everything. Thanks again.

Quote:
Porting to x64 could even be made step-by-step. Most ASM resides in builtin filters, so as long as the core
without filters can be compiled in x64, we can be adding more and more builtin filters back to an already
working x64 version as the porting continues.
Quote:
Separating *all* the filters out of core is not my plan either, actually.
but I too don't think that the core sould be totally bare and empty of filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDA
I always dreamt with a core very light, the lightest possible, and different
projects of filters grouped by their functions.......
I do not see the word empty or *all*, maybe is my poor english, but I remarked the lightest possible,
that I don't define with precision, so I left opened to a research, study or discussion.

Quote:
To compile assembly code with an external assembler is not so hard, at least according to my experience
Nasm/Yasm syntax is very near inline asm, except some pointers syntax, not too much.
They are also portable between enviroments and platforms if I am not wrong. Well, I work almost always
with Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2008 and Yasm or Nasm.
Quote:
True, intrinsics do not always generate optimal code, but it will be close, and it will still be much better than
traditional C code. And let's be honest, hand-written ASM is not guaranteed to be optimal either. Not to mention,
code generation from intrinsics improves with better compilers.
I do not say asm is better than intrinsics, just remark it is not so hard to move inline asm to Nasm/Yasm.
And is also portable, probably to more platforms.
Obviously you have to work under and enviroment that can use Nasm.
Asm code can be non optimal of course. I was thinking about the task of moving out inline code you already have
in built in filters nowadays, optimal or not, while preserving many mmx and Isse code.
There are some Isse codes that are well optimized in avisynth and it is very difficult to get a SSE2 or higer version
to work better, mainly when you have to work with misaligned ptrs.

Quote:
I also think there is a lot work previous port to x64, and I agree is not for near future.
And in that future probably mmx or Isse will not be needed anymore, while 32 bits it doesn't hurt
to mantain mmx and mainly Isse cause the profit of non temporal store instructions.
@ultim
All these are just some quick ideas, I see you are working hard with other issues, more immediate needs
and improvements so we can leave all this discussion for future.

Thanks for all the work you are doing, and keep on.