View Single Post
Old 9th April 2009, 11:40   #37  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
does soft here correspond to overall softness/sharpness of the image?
When doing upscaling "soft" means less jaggies but also less sharpness. Fortunately our eyes are much more sensitive to brightness information than they are to color information. That's why e.g. LimitedSharpenFaster only modifies the luma (brightness) channel, but doesn't touch the chroma, AFAIK. So having soft chroma is actually a good thing. Having an overall soft image quality is not good, though. That's why madVR uses different scaling algorithms for chroma and luma.

Quote:
- atm it doesnt seem to be possible to take screenshots in mpc-hc? (ffdshow & madvr)
True. Not implemented yet. I'm taking screenshots by doing PrintScreen.

Quote:
- could you somehow integrate mpc's jitter display? atm it always displays 0ms all the time at playback, would be nice if it could display the actual information like with ffdshow & haali for example.
I don't know what exactly I'd have to do to make that work. I'm also not sure if jitter will make any difference once I implemented smooth motion display.

Quote:
btw. my installation problem seemed to result from a missing d3d .dll file (d3dx9_35.dll), which I had to download manually (dunno why, I have d3dx9_40.dll here though, is it newer?)
Hmmmm... I guess _40 is newer than _35, but I don't really know why you had _40 but not _35!? Does anybody know?

Quote:
btw. regarding all those madVR options (like resampling, dithering etc.) I guess the default choices are those which represent the displayed image most closely 1:1 (and I don't have to worry ) ?
If you display the source 1:1 in its original size, all luma scaling is turned off. The whole scaling options in the settings dialog have no effect in that situation. If you want to rescale the original resolution to something else, all the various filters have their own advantages and disadvantages, as I already said. E.g. Lanczos is the sharpest of the bunch, but also adds a lot of ringing to the image. Scaling is always a balance act between sharpness, aliasing and ringing. Just play with the filters and choose which looks best to your eyes...

Last edited by madshi; 9th April 2009 at 11:45.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote