Thread: DivX5 Q&A
View Single Post
Old 18th April 2003, 20:06   #9  |  Link
crusty
Ahhh....Nuts!!

anomiERIC wrote:
Quote:
I saw this on that link... Integrated inverse telecine Integrated de-interlacing Does this mean theres not a need for me to be running the GreedyHMA and other filters that do this? (using autodub but i guess this would pertain to other users as
Violation of Forum rule number 1): Read up before asking!

This is answered above....read a topic in it's entirety please before asking questions.....

Quote:
Q: Should I use the resize, crop and deinterlace/IVTC options in the codec or do them outside (e.g. resize in avisynth and use decomb)?
A: Definitely the latter. All these options are more or less the same as in DrDivX, a never released DivX4 encoding app by DivXNetworks, and they haven't worked that well (especially deinterlace/IVTC).. so you're better off using the tools you use for all the other codecs.
Quote from the faq.

To give you a more thorough answer:
IVTC and deinterlacing in 3d party programs like avisynth, virtualdub and the like are much more powerful and versatile than the build in filters. The internal filters also cannot be upgraded independently from the codec, whereas other filters like decomb can evolve quite fast on occassion.
These other filters are also much more powerful when it comes to special cases, say for instance bad interlaced, bad telecined or hybrid content.
And as to the speed, whether or not the internal filters are faster than external filters, I have no idea. I can assume that the internal filters work in the same colourspace as the codec, so you might gain some speed by avoiding colour space conversions, but you can bypass that with the use of certain 3d party programs as well, like avisynth 2.5.

Edit:
From the guide at www.divx.com about internally deinterlacing:
"For this to work correctly, it is important that the video has not been resized vertically external to the codec. "

Last edited by crusty; 18th April 2003 at 20:27.