View Single Post
Old 6th January 2003, 18:25   #16  |  Link
leadman584

Hi

I've been playing with averaging period for a couple of weeks now, just to see if there was indeed any difference. By and large I have gotten slightly better results increasing from the default 2000 avg. Basically the default will average bit allocation over a span between 67 and 83.4 seconds depending on your framerate. I just did xxx a couple of days ago and I can assure you that to put it on 1 cd (not a real good idea, just too much high speed action) the default setting of 2000 produced incredibly bad looking high motion scenes, most vastly exceed 84 seconds. low motion scenes were ok, not great, but ok. I tried it again with averaging set much higher, 70000 I believe. Anyway the improvement was very noticeable, though low motion scenes showed signs of background pixelation. Tried one last time with latest stable build of Xvid, all stock settings. the results were by far the best of a single cd attempts. In the end I used Xvid 2cd for archive copy, and the results are stunning. It helped that I could increase the sound quality by going 2 cd.

I think by and large setting the RC averaging to a higher level for high action movies is very helpful. Perhaps others have gotten different results, but when you really push it with relatively low bitrates the difference becomes apparent. I have posted in the suggestions section at Divx that the default averaging period be set to 60000 or higher for the next release of Divx. If you have better ideas for this please post at Divx.
leadman584 is offline   Reply With Quote