View Single Post
Old 5th February 2007, 19:44   #3  |  Link
arnezami

Thanks evdberg. That confirms this is in fact the Volume ID.

Its incredible how not random this Volume ID is. I just figured out what these "unique" 6 bytes are:

Code:
09 18 20 06 08 41
Here is part of the entry in our volume key list:

Code:
King Kong      |V|09/18/06|
Yep its a date (09/18/2006) and time (08:41) of the production. Although its done very weird since the hex is interpreted as decimals. But most importantly the Volume ID is not just guessable its even predictable! Incredible.

What does this mean?

This means that (especially for future software player updates) there would be no need for anyone to do a memdump/debug or anything. Only once per Media Key Block Version does the Media Key have to be extracted by one person in the world. If this is released everyone can decrypt any disc!!

This is opposed to having to design a reliable and working keyfinder program for a new version of a software player which may not be possible. And that would mean that everyone who would want to retrieve a volume key would have to be pretty savvy (using a real debugger etc) and this would limit the amount and speed of volume key discovery.

What the above (date/time) essentially does is vaporize the whole Host and Drive revocation scheme. Have they gone mad? Even if they do use proper unique Volume IDs from now on it will still be possible (using a very simple USB software sniffer I used) for less savvy people to get Volume IDs. And having Volume ID + Media Key equals to Volume Unique Keys . And the beauty is that a released Media Key doesn't reveal the (software) player that has been compromised.

To confirm the above it would be nice if we had some more Volume IDs. Maybe this date/time thing is only done by one distributer or something. Don't know. We have to figure it out. Since I only have one movie others would have to extract the Volume ID.

Finding the Volume ID

How did I find the Volume ID?

There are essentially two ways (now). I used the USB sniffer (with the xbox 360 HD DVD) because I knew I didn't have to bother with the (possibly obscured/wiped) memory of the software player.
  1. Download USB sniffer 1.8 then unzip and start it.
  2. Select the "USB Mass Storage Device" (I use the xbox 360 HD DVD drive) and click install.
  3. Unplug the HD DVD drive (the usb cable) and replug it again. It will be recognized by windows and the sniffer starts logging.
  4. Insert the Disc into the drive while the sniffer is.. well sniffing. Then start WinDVD and immediatly quit when the video (even the first black screen) starts. Then click 'Close' on the sniffer.
  5. You now have a huge log file (60+ MB or something). Open it in WinHex (pressing F7 for ascii only) and search for the ascii string (not hex search!) "00000000: 00 22 00 00" including the spaces (but excluding the quotes of course ).
  6. There was only one occurence of this in the whole file. So it has to be the Volume ID. Tata!

Btw: I used WinDVD but the above should also work for other players.

A different method (but less reliable I think) is to use WinDVD's memdump.
  1. Open WinDVD's memdump in WinHex
  2. Hex search (with WinHex) for 002200004000 or alternatively 0020202020200000. **
  3. There you will (usally) find the Volume ID. But I'm not sure this will always work. There may be more than one occurance. You can check if the last 16 bytes (of the 36 beginning with 0022) are random since that would have to be the MAC. If its not random you haven't found it yet so you should go on searching until you do.

I'm going to try to extract the media key. I have no idea how difficult that will be (if at all). But if we have that we could make a program that decrypts all discs without needing any keys (apart from the one media key).

I hope we can find at least a few Volume IDs. If you retrieve one please also check the creation dates of the files/dirs on the disc and post it aswell.

Greetz,

arnezami

PS. Almost forgot: make sure you remove the last 16 bytes from the Volume ID log (which is the MAC) like I did in my first post. This is because in theory they might be able to track down your drive with that part... (you don't want that). The Volume ID itself is for everybody the same (with the same movie) so that won't reveal anything about yourself .

** See this post for more Blu-Ray instructions.

Last edited by arnezami; 10th February 2007 at 09:44.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote