View Single Post
Old 7th February 2011, 11:11   #59  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
If one discards a medium - well in all languages I know, that is lifespan. End of cycle, for a product. The owner thought it's useless. Garbage can (recycle bin for eco countries).
Really? I never would have guessed.

Quote:
At least I have 6 or 7 years old DVDR media. So I can comment on their characteristics. You cannot, as you discarded the "old" media ...
And I explained why. Something which you've ignored as it obviously doesn't suit your confabulation.
It's just a pity you're not willing to post burn quality tests of your six year old media so others can comment on the quality too.

Quote:
but you still contradict people based on short term data
While you're contradicting people based on forum heresay and nothing else, while you also continue to avoid answering direct questions or posting the burn test results as requested. We've long past the point of me taking you seriously and we're in purely entertainment territory now.

Quote:
Accelerated ageing tests are the base for the marketing claims and from time to time such tests are performed at independent laboratories. I never experienced myself a failing DVDR due to ageing, but also I don't buy ANY DVDR, like those from gasstations or groceries, and definitely I don't burn them at 16x or even at 22x.
So you're telling me you've no evidence, based on your own collection of burned discs, to show they don't age as well as they used to as you're claiming? Which side of the debate are you on?
I can only assume a "boast" that you don't burn at 16x or 22x is one based on ignorance and nothing to do with burn quality, given you didn't mention it. I run a quality test on every disc I intend to keep and I've experimented with different speeds. On average my older burners burn best at 12x while the newer burners burn best at 16x. The newer Pioneer does extremely well at 20x but anything over the 4GB mark can be a bit hit and miss, so I keep it to 16x.

Quote:
When I installed Ubuntu, some 2-3 years ago, the installation routine had a bug (like the windows syndrome, the installation procedure can lock on minimal specs PCs due to lack of resources), yet the first 3 answers in the FAQ were: 1. burn at less than 8x, 2. burn at less than 8x and 3. burn at less than 8x , and of course the 4th was Use Verify after burning.
Wow, so it appears that people got coasters right from the burner. And I mean the bulk of the population, not isolated cases.
At least you made me laugh. The bulk of the population?? I think you meant the bulk of people with installation problems.
Aside from the fact the FAQ could have been written by a dinosaur with a 4x burner anyway, it's statistically meaningless. It just means the majority of people having installation problems may have been having them due to bad burns. It does nothing to indicate what percentage of people installing Ubuntu who were actually having problems. It might have only been 5% and the majority of them may have been having problems due to using poor quality media. The majority of people I know still buy cheap blanks, but the quality they achieve or the burn speeds they need to use is irrelevant to me and a discussion on Verbatim's disc quality.
Why do you keep insisting on posting theories you've developed along with such flimsy evidence to support it while continuing to ignore the quality of the burns I posted? You're not imagining them, they're real. That's the burn quality I'm getting from Verbatim discs today. How do you explain it?

Quote:
And that was 2008 or 2009. Before burnproof technologies appeared, the only coasters were produced by buffer-underrun issues. Wasn't that a decrease in quality?
Really? How long did you use your old 1x burner? Burnproof technologies have been around for a while.
And of course your burn speed theories seem to assume the disc is being burned at 8x or 16x etc rather than the speed at which it's being burned. Chances are a 20x burner will only burn a small fraction of the disc at that speed, the rest of the time it's a 16x burn. And there's nothing to say how fast the majority of the disc is being burned just because you selected a particular speed. In fact much of the time the chosen speed is nothing more than the maximum speed.
One of my 12x burners takes about 10 seconds less to burn a disc than another takes to burn it at 16x (for example) as it's ramped up to 12x much earlier in the burn, so in effect, the second burner is burning the majority of the disc at a slower speed despite it burning at 16x.

Nothing you've posted above, zero, zip, has any relevance to your contention that Verbatim's quality has dropped, nor does it explain why my burns of today are better quality than the two year old burns you posted, and you've not even come close to showing anything which indicated my discs won't last as long as yours, aside from some more amusing confabulation.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote