View Single Post
Old 17th November 2015, 18:32   #34306  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
If that new SSIM-based downscaling algorithm can be used, would be interesting to see how it affects SuperRes (which relies on downscaling, right?).
While I agree it would be interesting, it might not necessarily be the best way to implement this SSIM downscaling algorithm. For more information see my previous comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If it were just the problems with a flat luma channel, I might invest the work to detect that situation and switch to a different algo in that case. But the inappropriate "edge filling" which sometimes occurs is a problem that I don't know how to solve. Which is why I haven't tried to improve Bilateral chroma upscaling yet. Maybe Shiandow has some ideas there? I'm not sure if anything can be done there, though. Maybe it's not possible to solve the inappropriate "edge filling" without removing all the benefits Bilateral has in other situations.
I think preventing this 'edge filling' entirely will require a different algorithm, you'll need to detect edges in a somewhat more intelligent manner. Although, if you don't mind doing an extra processing pass, I did manage to get some nice results if I combine a somewhat modified Bilateral scaler it with a softened SuperRes pass, that's still highly experimental though.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote