View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:58   #6  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
Do you ever run into compatibility problems with players or any playback issues at all from encoding non mod 16?
PC plays it. PS3 plays it. That's all I care about. Since even Sony can make this work it shouldn't be a problem for other companies.
I don't own any portables to try it on, but I suspect bitrate and resolution would be the main problems with my encodes. I don't know if Quicktime and AppleTV can do non mod16 but then again they already choke on 3 b-frames, b-pyramid, ...

I don't think that either performance or quality suffer much. IIRC if you crop non mod16 the encoder pads the video to the next higher mod16 resolution with whatever has the best compressibility. So you waste a bit of bitrate and you have the same performance as if you would resize (up) to mod16.

In this thread on the german board they did some tests with crf encodes and while I am aware that it isn't the optimum method for such a test the bitrate for the non mod16 encodes is only ~0,5% higher and I wouldn't care about that.

Keep in mind that resizing also costs some quality.

Last edited by nurbs; 22nd July 2007 at 22:14.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote