View Single Post
Old 7th November 2016, 16:08   #3  |  Link
Ataril

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Color-space conversion, such as RGB to YUV (actually YCbCr), is not specific to H.264 at all.
I get it, h.264 knows nothing about RGB color space. But complete codec (such as ffmpeg for example) starts working with any video format not only in YCbCr, am I wrong? It should first convert it into recognizable color space, so it need some converter's functional additionally to codec's functional.

Quote:
But, how to generate a valid bit-stream that, after decompression, resembles the original input video as closely as possible (under the given bitrate limitations), is totally undefined.
Now it's clear for me, thank you for this brief ultimate explanation. So to figure out how coder works maybe I should explore some existed coder (unfortunately reading someone's code is quite difficult)

Quote:
The names "diamond" (DIA), "hexagonal" (HEX), "uneven multi-hexagon" (UMH) and "exhaustive search" (ESA) refer to such search methods/patterns.
Where can I read more about these methods? They determine only the pattern for search or the size of the search field too? Or maybe it's depend on the specific algorithm too?

And one more dumb question - as soon as we use YCbCr color space, when we say 16x16 size macroblock, what does 16x16 mean exactly? It is pixels of brightness, right?
And all distances on the frame are measured inside this concept?
Ataril is offline   Reply With Quote