View Single Post
Old 10th October 2017, 20:32   #22272  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
My only worry about LFE being detectable when using mpc audio renderer set to exclusive wasapi (lav mixer disabled), was that I thought in that case there was no mixer whatsoever involved, so I'm just confused as to whats mixing the LFE into the 2 channels in that particular case.

Maybe its mpc renderer itself in this case (although i don't have it set to mix channels at all). I just want to know what pieces of software are involved in the various combinations.
If you're playing 5.1 content using WASAPI Exclusive and a 2.0 output, and playback works (i.e. it doesn't fail to start), then something has to have downmixed it in some way. In WASAPI Exclusive Windows will not downmix; if an application tries to open an audio device in exclusive mode and the channel count doesn't match, Windows simply refuses to comply. LAV Audio will not downmix if you don't tell it to, so that indeed only leaves the MPC Audio Renderer as the only remaining step in the pipeline that could possibly have downmixed the audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
My main reason for trying to use wasapi in various cases (winamp / mpc) is so that I can play a mix of say 44.1khz and 48khz content, and my understanding is with wasapi there should be no conversion, where as without it, the mixer is converting to whatever I have set in windows sound settings.
That's technically true, but I wouldn't bother. No-one can tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
It's used by the "Bass Management" feature available in the Enhancements tab in Windows' sound control panel.
Ah, that makes sense. I never used Windows Bass Management settings, so that explains why I couldn't tell what this option was for.

Last edited by e-t172; 10th October 2017 at 20:34.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote