View Single Post
Old 4th October 2013, 15:27   #20228  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I was being sarcastic; it's very impressive!
Thought you meant that, but wasn't sure.

Quote:
I will say that after having done quite a bit of testing last night, I'm not sure that it's something I would leave enabled by default, but for specific sources it can work very well.
I definitely wouldn't leave "high" on by default, except maybe for Anime content. But did you find "low" to eat away details, too? I would like to have a setting which is low enough to never harm, but to sometimes help. Is the current "low" setting still too agressive for that? I guess I could rename the current "low" setting to "medium" and add a "low" setting which is even more careful. Such a "low" setting probably wouldn't really remove ugly banding artifacts, but it could at least smooth the rough edges away from clean non-dithered 8bit encodes.

Quote:
That said, especially on high, it does seem to act like "noise reduction" some of the time, obscuring fine details. If you look at the images above, you will see that the fingernail disappears.
With some content it may eliminate a lot of the banding/macroblocking, but actually look worse, because what's left now stands out against an otherwise clean image, and is a distraction.
Yeah. We humans have such a big advantage because we know what a fingernail is supposed to look like. So we know which part of the image is real detail and which is an artifact. A simple debanding algorithm has no way of knowing that. So at least in "high" mode it's always a balance act between debanding and detail removal. I do think in "low" mode usually details are left well enough alive.

Quote:
And there are some cases where I thought it would work well, but it hardly does anything
Hmmmm... Yes, that one is a bit surprising. I'll have a look at that later when I find some time.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote