View Single Post
Old 31st August 2019, 00:42   #7012  |  Link
markiemarcus

Regarding RDOQ, am I the only one who really doesn't like the look of it? Though it's effective at maintaining grain motion, it seems to make it awfully boxy. I realise that this is subjective, but I find the results from disabling RDOQ entirely (--rdoq-level 0 --psy-rdoq 0) and increasing Psy-rd (to anywhere between 2.5 to 3.5) to be consistently more pleasing, assuming the same bitrate. Especially in grainy animation. The only explanation I can come up with for this comes from the documentation: that underlying flat colours reveal the shortcomings of RDOQ "biasing towards energy in general" as opposed to "energy in the source". On live action it seems okay, but I've found a number of instances in animation where anything other than tiny amounts can be quite ugly and make a right mess of fine grain or dither, regardless of the bitrate.

My apologies if that sounds overly negative; I realise that there are folks here who know a lot more than I do. Perhaps I'm missing something? Outside of a few difficulties with deep reds, this is really the only head-scratcher I've run into with x265. The only thing I long for is a way to control the strength of SAO. I like it, but sometimes I think half as much or even less would do.
markiemarcus is offline   Reply With Quote