View Single Post
Old 6th January 2006, 00:58   #10  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
well.. I just found the problem case: You're setting up multiple movies for encoding in one click mode. So you end up having a bunch of one click jobs, then you add the shutdown job, and then you start. After indexing, MeGUI will write the jobs at the end of the queue.. then all other movies will be indexed, and then the system will shut down.. without encoding ever having been done. Previously, all movies would be encoded and only then would the system shut down.
Hmm, yeah, looking at the DGIndexPostProcessing code I see what you mean, it would require a fair amount of special case control.
We can change it back to a checkbox causing it to shutdown on idle, but my main problem is a usability one.
Checkboxes and other generic settings GUI elements are 'fire-and-forget' - you set the program up the way you want it, then you use it from day to day with having to bother to check them. It's not the best GUI element to use for something you might use on one occasion but not another, especially when it controls a system-critical event like a shutdown (if that's something you always want it's fine, however). Poor GUI design like this has tripped me up on other programs and I was trying to avoid it. It's possible to add an element that will make the current behaviour highly visible though.