View Single Post
Old 10th July 2002, 19:17   #12  |  Link
Leuf

Quote:
Originally posted by sh0dan
That should give you an exact average of the two sources (and be much easier and faster than using vdub). Be aware of your colors - there may be a bug in mergechroma in weighed mode - but it may also be related to a specific testcase - if so, please mail me, or post here.
Well, I've had the chance this week to capture Witchblade twice, since TNT are nice enough to repeat it the following day. I've been anxious to try it out on this, as my TNT source is among my worst channels for noise and so far I haven't come up with a filter chain for it that I'm happy with the results from.

So, I tried again this time using all 3 methods we've discussed in this thread, my vdub filter, layer, and merge.
First I did up to the opening credits back to huffyuv to compare file sizes again.

vdub: 1,377,366
merge: 1,349,376
layer: 1,472,616

So, again it seems like layer is high for some reason. I tried again on just the first 500 frames, and didn't use decomb this time so I could compare to the original frames.

vdub: 111,456
merge: 109,722
layer: 119,562

I then picked a frame at random and looked at the 2 sources and outputs closeup in photoshop. What I've concluded is that layer doesn't seem to be producing an average of the two, it's weighed more to the first clip. I've been using amount = 128. For example, given source 1 (179,180,177) source 2 (181,184,177) layer produced (180,181, 178) Though there are some colorspace conversions going on that account for some error. This is the only explanation I can come up with to account for the different filesizes.

With Merge there *does* seem to be something fishy going on with the color, though it's difficult to pin down exactly. There isn't a huge difference between the two sources + colorspace conversions, it's hard to tell. But my first reaction when I loaded it was there was more green. In looking at the values it seems more like the green is right, but R+B are too low, sometimes lower than were in either source pixel. Example: source 1 (19,15,16) source 2 (20,18,19) merge produced (18,16,14)

-Leuf
Leuf is offline   Reply With Quote