View Single Post
Old 6th April 2013, 02:50   #18201  |  Link
Niyawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I'm more of a fan of chroma with no AR. I keep going back to the Mid option (chroma: Bicubic75, upscaling: Lanczos3 AR) even though my system is fast enough to run the best settings (Jinc 3 AR). Also don't run FRC since I want as pure of a signal as possible. (hence no AR on chroma, which is perfect for Blu-ray, and AR on upscaling for non 1080p content).
Smooth motion is only activated (as soon as madshi fixes this) when you're running a video that's not optimal for that refresh rate anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Niyawa don't listen to fairchild, I really like your table.
But I am sure it isn't optimal for everyone, there is a reason we have all the options we do.
Haha, thanks. And you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Personally I use Jinc3taps AR for everything so I can't say about other options, but just wanted to comment on Smooth motion option.
I watch anime mostly (like 99% of everything that I watch offline and 95% of what I watch in general), where the difference between frames is often huge even if its not a scene change. And I find smooth motion to look very ugly. I can easily see where it occurs. However without it I can't tell the difference, can't tell that something wrong even if some frames get dropped due to video/display framerate mismatch or whatever.
Maybe I set up something wrong or something, but as I said for me everything looks fine even without this option, so I don't want to invest a time to check this. I just want you to check whatever this option really that useful before recommending it to someone, especially if its many people. Just because this option is there and some people in this thread use it, it doesn't means that it should be used by everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I agree, smooth motion isn't something that should be directly tied to a quality level table, its quite separate from that (and doesn't eat all that much performance to matter), and more importantly, some people don't even see the 3:2 judder (like most people who have seen this most of their life on NTSC TVs), but maybe would see the extra blur and artifacts it adds.
I get a lot of times that smooth motion is still in test and such, so I don't plan to make that chart the "recommended" yet, this is also why I share it with everyone before I start putting it out there without any sort of discussion about it. A lot of people already reported to me having problems with smooth motion, but that's more with those that have an ordinary hardware. Also, there are other options that can affect smooth motion performance such as "use a separate device for presentation" and not so obvious the flush/backbuffer settings.

Going a little to what nev said, while it's not logically correct to put smooth motion as a "performance" table, for now I don't have any better option. Most people don't see the judder because they never saw without judder to begin with. I personally can't live without smooth motion now, it hurts just to watch a 24p video on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Niyawa, are the settings in your chart optimised specifically for Anime or for general viewing?
In my chart? For general. What me and most of the users were trying to achieve when I posted the first version of this, was accurate and sharp image while putting a scale for the performance needed for that. As far as I've watched with some of those settings, it looks extremely good in both anime and general viewing.

Oh yeah, forgot to put this together:

Minimum would be able to play Lowest and Low, Preferred for Mid and High, and Recommended for Highest. Now this one I'll use in my guide to give the readers some sort of reference to what they will be able to play or not. Of course, this is fairly accurate but not accurate enough to use as a shopping guide, so don't do that. If you all have any opinions on this as well I would gladly hear them.