View Single Post
Old 5th May 2018, 21:42   #50698  |  Link
Clown shoes
King of the Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I think you missed huhn's point.

People are not noticing a change in image quality, they only notice the change in the number in the OSD. If madVR lied and said it was outputting 10 bit when it was really dithered 8 bit no one who is noticing this change now would have noticed.

You have to do very specific tests with dithering disabled to even be able to tell if it is 8 or 10 bit. I really do not understand why so many people are so obsessed with 10 or 12 bit output. We have people using 4:2:2 chroma subsampling because they want 12 bit.

I see why madshi didn't worry about 10 bit for so long, bit depth is massively overrated by the casual HTPC user.

Then you have displays like mine, which offer better image quality using 8 bits, and people still want to send them 10 bit. Even I have to recheck this fact every once in a while.

10 bit just seems like it should be much better, but it really isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it get's really interesting if you check part used in TVs and see that nearly every high end TV is 8 bit.
This is a very good point and shows that sometimes people become so obsessed with the numbers that they forget to just sit back and enjoy watching their content

It does make me wonder though about a lot of the current high end sets that say they are 10 bit, but are actually 8bit + FRC, which as I understand it is dithering at the TV end. In this scenario are we best off sending 8bit from MadVR or 10 bit and above?
Clown shoes is offline   Reply With Quote