View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2002, 21:19   #1  |  Link
Acaila
Retired

VirtualDub and 16 bit colors

I think most of you who are using GKnot will have noticed that the final movie when viewed in explorer says it has 16 bit colors on its properties page. That it is fact a bug of VirtualDub (can anyone confirm this?). If you use VirtualDub in full-processing mode then you're fine, however if you use fast-recompress mode (like GKnot does) then you get an output file with 16 bit colors. It looks completely normal (i.e. like 24 bits), but as far as VirtualDub is concerned it is treated as if it's only 16 bit.

This leads to a problem I am having.
I encode my end credits with some extra filters (coring,logo,tempsmoother) to get the size down drastically. The filters require me to use VDub's full-processing mode.
The rest of the movie I frameserve through Avisynth using all the filters I need from Avisynth internally (tempsmoother,logo) so I can use VirtualDub encoding in fast-recompress mode. So what I end up with is a 24 bit credits with a 16 bit movie. ARGH!

Of course these can't be combined anymore. I tried my credits with my Avisynth-method, but with the filters I use my logo gets screwed up when using VDub's fast-recompress.

Anyone have any suggestions, besides going full-processing for the entire movie?

I'm using version 1.4.8 but had the same experience with 1.4.7 as well.
Acaila is offline   Reply With Quote