View Single Post
Old 10th February 2002, 23:06   #16  |  Link
theReal
Piper at theGates of Dawn

I forgot, Seti@home was running as well (like always, that's why I forgot...)

I agree that watching a DVD at the same time would probably result in some bus-interferences on my IDE system.

I also agree that SCSI is still the better and more professional system than IDE.
But still it's not so much ahead anymore like it was a few years ago: I recently compared two old systems, a Pentium 75 with an IDE HD of same age, and a 486DX 33 with a SCSI HD, also of same age - the 486 was still more usable than the Pentium system. Back then, it really made a big, big difference. Today the difference is much smaller (just take IDE HD transfer rates...) but the SCSI stuff is still unbelievably expensive. So for me, I don't see why I should buy a SCSI drive. It wouldn't make a difference for me (as I'm usually not even ripping and burning at the same time, that was just a test)

I had given up buying SCSI HD's a long time ago because of price reasons, I wanted to keep all my CDRoms SCSI, then I got the IDE DVD by chance for a very good price and couldn't detect any negative side effects for me. Still I wanted to have a new SCSI CD Writer, but there weren't many available, so I waited and waited but finally just bought the Plexwriter IDE because it was so cheap and I couldn't find a reason why I should pay twice as much for a SCSI writer.

You see, I'm not a SCSI hater
If I had to build a professional server or something like that, of course I would use SCSI devices - but for myself I rather have bigger HD's for less money than some advantages of SCSI HD's that I don't really need on my pc.

btw my old Teac CDR55S 4x Writer (SCSI) is now in my dad's computer, connected to an Adaptec 1510 ISA controller *LOL*, therefore it takes 55% from an Athlon 1000 when writing at 4x speed, but it still works perfectly...
theReal is offline   Reply With Quote