View Single Post
Old 18th March 2015, 06:10   #1976  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Thanks for the suggestions, hello_hello, VideoHelp has often been just that for me. Also, thanks again for your earlier ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
If you can apply IVTC and the output frame rate is a smooth 23.976fps, that'd generally be better than de-interlacing to 29.970fps. Having said that, I often use QTGMC in progressive mode to remove noise etc, and that'd sometimes be after applying IVTC. For example:

tfm(order=-1).tdecimate()
QTGMC(InputType=1, EzDenoise=1)

Or you could try appling IVTC and then de-interlacing with QTGMC to see how it looks, even though technically that's completely wrong. Sometimes though I find de-interlacing progressive video with QTGMC can clean it up a bit better (as opposed to QTGMC in progressive mode) despite all it's technical wrongness.

tfm(order=-1).tdecimate()
QTGMC()
SelectEven()
The second script did a slightly better job than the first, to my eyes, and adding Toon (thanks!) to the end of the script made it even better. I'll play around with QTGMC's settings, and tweak Toon, and see what I can achieve. Also, just because I was curious, I applied "QTGMC(InputType=1, EzDenoise=1)" to some live action source footage and was pleasantly surprised by the speed-quality combination, so I've more to check out, competition for SMDegrain.

A couple of last (ha ha ha...) questions about deinterlacing. You suggested I go with MeGUI's suggestion, which was "tfm(order=0).tdecimate(hybrid=1)", but then your suggested scripts had "tfm(order=-1).tdecimate()"; how did you come to that conclusion and is it really that important? Also, do you think that TIVTC+TDent(EDI) is worth the extra time?

Finally, could you elaborate a bit on why it's better to output to 23.976fps than to 29.970fps, and is this true only for animation? Thanks.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 18th March 2015 at 06:16.