View Single Post
Old 21st January 2019, 22:16   #4  |  Link
Cyber Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
The headphone jack is sending way too much gain to the poor input jack of the laptop.
I know that a microphone jack is generally not intended to be connected to a headphone input, issue is that the laptop has no other audio inputs.

Quote:
Why dont you just use the RCA cinch jacks at the back of the cassette player?
It doesn't have any, the cassette deck just has a headphone output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The cheapest and IMHO the best solution is to buy a standalone CD-recorder with a CD-RW Audio (unrestricted) and do one side, then rip the CD, erase it, do another side and so on...
That would be a mess to try to split the tracks that way, I am planning to cut the recording into separate tracks once it is captured.

Quote:
Instead of the cheap nowadays CD-Recorder one can use Tascam, Sony, Zoom or Olympus portables which have a super-quality but use SD or CF cards instead of CD-R/W with more space (no need to erase). They also record at other than 44k1 sampling rates.
Wouldn't those be much more expensive than the device I am looking for? Again, the source already isn't high quality, I am not trying to capture studio quality here.

I was completely lost on the DAT thing, that also sounds like insane overkill just to capture some old home cassette recordings.